HIPAA / HITECH Compliance Consulting Services
Why do you need to be HIPAA Compliant?
If you are a covered entity (health plans, health care clearinghouses, health care providers); provide treatment, payment, or operations in healthcare; have access to patient information; provide support in treatment or payment; are a business associate; or a subcontractor, then you must be in compliance with HIPAA at all times.
Failure to comply with HIPAA regulations and HIPAA compliance requirements can result in criminal charges or hefty fines, regardless of whether the violation resulted from willful neglect or intention. Even inadvertent violations are not considered justifiable by the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) of the Department of Health and Human Services. Penalties for noncompliance are based on the level of negligence and may be up to $50,000 per violation, with a maximum penalty of $1.5 million per year. This is in addition to other consequences enforced by applicable laws, litigations, and regulatory penalties.
RSI Security can evaluate your organization’s patient data-related processes, controls, and policies and identify any potential gaps between the practices and HIPAA requirements and advise corrective actions to be taken prior to an OCR audit or compliance review. We pride ourselves in taking extra security measures to ensure that privacy and security in your company are of paramount importance. Through our HIPAA compliance program, we offer technical safeguards to help you maintain crucial privacy policies and procedures.
If healthcare is your business, personal health information security should be top of mind. Patient privacy and patient data protection is critical. It’s the law. HIPAA Compliance creates a secure organizational environment to protect patient data.
We are a full-service HIPAA Compliance Assessor and Advisory company helping entities by providing patient data security assessment services with 10 years of experience. If you’re looking for an expert HIPAA consultant and top-notch healthcare compliance solutions, we’re here to help.
Our HIPAA Compliance Services
Network Penetration Testing
HIPAA Security Rule compliance advisory, assessment, and auditing services (covering required and addressable technical, physical, and administrative safeguards for the ePHI and patient data environment)
Risk Analysis of your patient data environment
HIPAA Security Awareness and Training
Value and Benefits of Having HIPAA Compliant Environment
- Audit Ready Patient Data Environment
- Patient Data Security Risk Management
- HIPAA Security and Compliance
- Increased Patient Data Protection
- Increased Customer Trust and Organizational Reputation
- Implementation of Information Security Program
- Effective Incident Response Planning
WORK WITH US
Why partner with RSI Security for HIPAA Consulting?
RSI Security’s skilled, experienced and qualified security assessment, advisory, engineering, and testing teams utilize a risk-based and strategic value-based approach to achieving your organization’s HIPAA Compliance.
Our advisory HIPAA services help you identify and meet required and addressable HIPAA rules and security requirements– increasing patient data security and minimizing the costs of compliance.
Our qualified security assessors possess information security assessment, auditing, administrative, and technical skills, knowledge, and experience to help organizations achieve secure client-patient environments.
RSI Security is a full-service security service provider organization with many years of experience providing data security compliance, information security program implementation, and testing services.
HIPAA Compliance should be implemented into business-as-usual (BAU) activities as part of an entity’s overall security strategy enabling an entity to monitor the effectiveness of security controls on an ongoing basis, and maintain a HIPAA compliant environment in between HIPAA security and risk assessments. RSI Security advisory, assessment, and testing services can help your organization achieve HIPAA Compliance processes into business-as-usual activities.
LET US HELP
Specific HIPAA Compliance Rules
Breach Notification Rule
The HIPAA Breach Notification Rule establishes that all healthcare organizations must provide immediate notification if a PHI breach occurs. This notification may include the affected individuals, the media, or the HHS Secretary, depending on the type of breach. Failure to report a breach will result in major federal fines.
HIPAA Compliance FAQs
The Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, also known as HIPAA, is the law that sets the standard for protecting the privacy and security of sensitive health-related information. HIPAA compliance is the process of implementing and following the practices and procedures required by the HIPAA rules.
Anyone who is required to comply with HIPAA can benefit from the help of a HIPAA consultant. This includes covered entities and business associates as defined by HIPAA. A qualified HIPAA compliance consultant will help clarify the privacy and security rule requirements and help avoid common HIPAA mistakes while pursuing compliance.
When considering HIPAA consulting services, seek professionals with expertise in the following:
- HIPAA and HITECH Act regulatory compliance
- Risk assessment
- Managed IT
- Audit preparation and management
- Cyber security best practices
Maintaining HIPAA compliance is an ongoing process for any covered entity. Taking the following steps will get your organization on the right path toward compliance:
- Assess – Determine how the HIPAA Rules and any mandatory assessments or audits apply to your organization. Identify what steps are necessary to address any deficiencies.
- Plan – Create a detailed plan for addressing and rectifying any issues. Define leadership, and consider HIPAA compliance services to ensure nothing is overlooked.
- Educate – Provide HIPAA training for all personnel, and create a plan for ongoing training and assessments.
- Execute – Implement measures and processes as detailed in the compliance plan.
- Test and review - Reassess for compliance regularly, keep detailed reports, and be prepared for audits.
There are seven steps to take when performing a HIPAA risk assessment:
- Collect data
- Identify vulnerabilities
- Assess security measures
- Determine threat risk
- Determine threat impact
- Determine risk level
- Document findings
A quality HIPAA consultant will guide covered entities through these assessments and help prevent missing anything that could lead to a violation.
Covered entities are divided into three categories:
- Healthcare Providers – This includes individuals and organizations such as doctors, pharmacies, nursing homes, and clinics.
- Health Plans – This can include insurance companies, an organization's internal health plan, health maintenance organizations (HMOs), and certain government programs.
- Healthcare Clearinghouses – Since they handle health information passing between healthcare providers and insurance payers, most clearinghouses are also considered covered entities.
When a covered entity fails to follow the required measures to protect the privacy and security of sensitive health data it's considered a HIPAA violation. Examples of violations include:
- Disclosure of patient information
- Transmission of unencrypted patient data
- Cyber security incidents such as malware attacks
- The loss of hardware containing sensitive information
Penalties for HIPAA violations can be severe, but a HIPAA compliance consultant will help establish and maintain the necessary measures to remain compliant and avoid violations.
HITECH refers to the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act; it works together with the HIPAA Rules to protect electronically stored patient information. The HITECH Act addresses loopholes within HIPAA, makes HIPAA easier to enforce, and makes the penalties for non-compliance more severe.